Monday, July 27, 2009

Two unrelated things come together

Two weekends ago, we boarded the commuter rail train with the idea of spending some time in Fremantle. It was a wintry, off-on rainy day, so before long, Ellie (our chronically underdressed child) was cold. We decided to disembark in Cottesloe and buy her some new long johns at a good outdoors store there. This led to more shopping and the purchase of much new and fancy athletic gear for Mama. I've never been one for the gym, and here that's more true than ever with such great outdoors; however, I hadn't really been taking much advantage of that either, and it was time to end excuses. Markus ensured I was fully geared up: new professionally fitted running shoes (whoa! what a difference!), super-breathable but warm exercise top and pants, and such technologically-advanced socks that they practically do the exercise for you. Seriously. When that man seeks out to destroy my excuses, he doesn't hold back. His point is that every weekday I drop Ellie off at school across from the beach, where there is a walking/cycling path that runs for miles. It isn't going to get any better than that, so off I had to go! This morning was to be my first day at it. I even wrote it on my to-do list. Jogging stroller in the car, complete with super-thermal stroller blanket for baby Stephanie (thank you, life in Holland for those two pieces of essential gear)...no more excuses.

Unrelated...
In the wee small hours of this morning, my dreams included two people from high school who I didn't like. They were a couple then, and they are now married with child(ren?). In my dream, it was them as they are (supposedly) now, including a small child who was their beautiful daughter. We were all riding together in my car, and I was so happy to see them. The dream left me a bit confunded and not a little lonely and homesick when I woke up. I think the underlying message was not about those particular people but rather I really miss familiar faces. Markus and I were recently talking about how long it's been since we were in the States, and this is the longest I've ever been away. Yes, I've moved every 2-4 years my whole life, but most of that was within one country... the country I haven't lived in for nearly 4 years now and haven't visited in over a year. Lemme tell ya, there's nothing like waking up homesick in the world's most isolated capital city to make one feel far from home.

Dejected and tense as I was, this was to be the morning for starting my new exercise routine, so I geared up and off we went after dropping Ellie off at school. As usual, Markus was right. It's hard to beat this locale:


Baby Stephanie was beautifully cooperative and was happy as a clam (as ever!) in the jogging stroller, munching away on crackers from the Snack Trap (clever little unnecessary-but-useful thing!). I walked to a small playground and back again, stopping at the playground for my little swinger.


Back home again, showered and belly full of healthy food (exercise helps motivate in that department too!), I feel so good having gotten some needed exercise and I realize that I no longer feel tense, sad or lonely. I just feel refreshed and good! And I feel even better knowing that Markus's leave has been approved for our trip back to the States in a few months' time. Next up, flight planning...

4 comments:

Karly said...

Once again, you are good inspiration to get my behind in gear and start exercising...I just feel I need to do it to be more healthy, you know? Although, it would be easier if I had the fabulous view and surroundings that you do... ;)

And can I just say one thing about a trip to the states in a few months? WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! :) Even if for some reason I don't get an opportunity to see you, just knowing you will be so much closer and that we will be able to talk on the phone more is awesome :)

Happy flight planning and keep up the new exercise routine!

azure said...

Okay I know this wrong to ask, but now I'm intrigued... Who were the people? You know I am racking my brain as to who the mystery people could be... Oh... wait... wait... I think I know. If it's the same people it would still be child..... It came to me right as I was typing..... Yea for the States. I thought I was getting to Aussie land later this summer, but alas that was not meant to happen. My trips consist of New Orleans and Chicago. What a sad life.....

Anonymous said...

Wow! I mean seriously woman, that is the most awesome jogging path n the world! WHAT A VIEW! Get out there and walk woman!

I just did Burke Lake this morning. Hot and mosquitoey! I am SO MAJORLY JEALOUS! Cold weather and gorgeous scenery!

You one lucky woman!

Christine said...

Yay you're going to be in the states! We'd love to see you -I wonder if Amelia and Ellie will remember each other.
That jogging path looks fantastic - and I so miss cool weather!