Monday, June 09, 2008

Eurocup

It's time for Eurocup, and the whole of Holland is covered in orange vinyl flags. Although I am normally a high-horse rider when it comes to TV and televised sports in particular, I am a huge sucker fan of European football. I can't explain it and I can't help it. All I know is my poor non-sports-watching-yet-patient-with-wife husband is about to be subjected to many evenings of Jennifer screaming at televised (hot) men in shorts. Tonight is a big match: Holland versus Italy. Italy is secretly my team, so let's just say it's a good idea for me to watch this game solo tonight (I might be maimed in a pub).

On my afternoon walk today, I stopped in at the corner grocery to pick up some milk. The ever-cheerful owner was there, smiling away and I asked how he was doing.
"Great! Though I'm a bit nervous."
Why nervous?
"We need to win tonight. We're playing Italy."
No problem! (yeah, right...this is a tough match!)
"No, you can never trust those Italians."

So true.


***later***

Italy. Boys, boys, BOYS.
I publicly announce my support and you go and embarrass me like that.
The offense was sad, sad, sad. Every man for himself is not a good strategy for a team sport!
You have some work to do before next week.

On the other hand...
Netherlands. Wow!
What a game! What beautiful goals! What teamwork!
This is the first time in 30 years that Netherlands has beaten Italy, and they earned it big style!
Congratulations, Orange! We'll be watching you in the next game.

No comments: