Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sculpture by the Sea


This morning, Stephanie and I had another playdate with our friends. This time, we met at a playground near the beach in Cottesloe, and then we strolled over to take a look at the annual Sculpture by the Sea exhibition. Call me an uncultured swine, but I'm not much of one for modern art. When I look at some big, angular metal thing, I just don't get how that is supposed to be about human angst and the suffering that connects us all or some such nonsense. Sorry, but I'm a classical art girl. I like subject matter to be straight-forward. But I can and do appreciate technique, skill and sheer effort that goes into creation. There were some sculptures that were not my cup of tea, but some were downright awesome. Follow me along this one from the side, to an angle, to the front:




This one was a clever thumb at all the (real) bureaucratic signs that litter the beach.


It was a beautiful day to be out. Yesterday was a picture-perfect early autumn day, which left today with a lovely cool start. Summer may be slowly drawing to a close. I brought home a happy but quite tired baby Stephanie, and she soon went down for a nap. After a few minutes of protest, she was quiet. I made myself some lunch and wrote a long overdue letter before I heard her talking to herself. She'd been in there for about an hour, but she hadn't been asleep. I opened the door to the extension and immediately was hit with a powerful scent, almost like disinfectant but milder. With lavender? Was it a new soap in the bathroom? I couldn't place it. Then, I was greeted with this sight:


See how shiny she looks in the flash? That's because she'd found the tub of Baby Vicks (gently scented with lavender) and smeared it all over her face. It was a few centimeters thick in places. It was all over her hands, in her hair from twirling...and she was very proud that she had done it all by herself! I had to laugh. Bathtime! And now that she's dry again, I can tell that it's still all in her hair. How am I supposed to get that out?

6 comments:

Parenting said...

Blogwalking from Indonesia, looking for new information. How do You do?

Jennifer said...

Welcome! We do very well! And you?
I hope you find something here to make you smile and possibly some information too!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that sign! Do you mind if I put that picture on my blog?

Jennifer said...

Hi Julia! Sure, go ahead! Please credit it and note that it's from Sculpture by the Sea in Cottesloe, as I don't know the artist's name so can't be more specific than that.

Anonymous said...

thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh this all just so wonderful! Thank you for every single word, every single photo! You are awesome, and so of course so is your wonderful blogspot!


"mum"