Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rainbow crayons: how-to


This afternoon, I decided it was time to take control of all the random crayon bits in Ellie's art box. This move was motivated by baby Stephanie, who has discovered the joy of munching on said crayon bits when she finds them. I peeled all the paper off the remaining crayons, broke them up into manageable pieces, and filled an old muffin tin with the bits.


Place the muffin tin in an oven preheated to 250F and observe closely until crayons melt. Our crayons were a collection of various brands, so the melting times varied (you see the biggest ones hardly melted at all). As soon as most are melted, turn off the oven. DON'T MOVE THE MUFFIN TIN. If you do, the colors will mix and the whole lot will turn into an icky browny yuck (which could still be used but isn't nearly as fun). Once the oven and the muffin tin are cool, remove the tin and press lightly on the underside of each muffin cup to release the molded crayons. At first, Ellie wasn't sure what to make of them since they are clearly not meant to be that way...but once she started coloring with them, she was a total convert! I used to make these when I babysat back in high school, and I have yet to meet a kid who doesn't love them. Give them a go!

2 comments:

Karly said...

So that's what they are!! When I first pulled up the site, the picture of the crayons was there, but no title to the post, so I was wondering what these were...love the idea!! Now I know what to do with the crayon bits in Sam's crayon box. He'll have a blast helping to make them...thanks for sharing :)

Jennifer said...

They are so easy! I'm not sure about letting Sam help, though. You might want him to help with prepping the crayons (baby Stephanie helped me peel paper off ours), but it takes a LONG TIME for the oven to cool enough to remove the muffin tin and pop out the crayons, and wee ones often don't have the patience for that. Just a warning! ;)