I'm at it again. gail, I don't know that I should have been introduced to chockylit's blog. I made her chocolate cupcakes from the Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache recipe, only I skipped the filling and used vanilla buttercream frosting instead. Oh. My.
These things are DANGEROUS! Look at this recipe, people!
24 regular cupcakes / 350 degree oven
5.4 ounces dark chocolate or 3/4 of a 200 gram bar of Valrhona 61% cocao
22 tablespoons butter
1-3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
4-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1. Melt chocolate and butter over a water bath.
2. Add sugar and stir, let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
3. Beat in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
4. Add one egg at a time, mixing for 30 seconds between each
5. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and a pinch of salt into the mixture and mix until blended.
6. Scoop into cupcake cups and bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
The first two ingredients should be enough of a warning. Count 'em... TWENTY-TWO TABLESPOONS OF BUTTER! These things are SINFUL!! A single bite will send any good Catholic to confession, mark my words! Especially if you use good chocolate (I used Lindt's 85% cacao). I highly recommend using the mini muffin pan for these. Somehow it makes you feel less guilty when you find yourself on the second (or third) cupcake of the afternoon...
By the way, in case you must, the vanilla buttercream recipe (also lifted from chockylit's recipes) is:
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1 stick butter
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. beat butter until creamy, scrape bowl
2. add 2.5 cups of sifted powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat until combined
3. add more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you want (not too stiff so that its hard to pipe)